Lady's Well, Mallauns
Description of Well Item Type Metadata
1 Name of well and saint
2 Townland, County, GPS
OS 41 15 6
OS 41 15 6
3 Physical description of well and its surroundings
"Situated on a gentle West-facing slope, this well flows West into Drish River. The precise location is difficult to ascertain as a pump-house, water tank and well with concrete lining have been constructed at this location" (Farrelly & O’Brien 277).
5 Pattern day
“The holy well was the focus of a pattern on the feast of the Assumption on 15th August, the men visiting the well in the morning and the women in the evening. A stone, formerly placed at the right-hand side of the gate entering Lady's Well from the Mill Road, was usually struck three times in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit” (Farrelly & O’Brien 277).
“Coins were thrown into the well and rags were hung on a nearby bush” (Farrelly & O’Brien 277).
Visiting this well was less common after 1848 because a company of soldiers were stationed nearby (Farrelly & O’Brien 277).
Farrelly, Jean and Caimin O’Brien. Archaeological Inventory of County Tipperary -North Tipperary. Vol 1. PP 273- 278.