St Nicholas's Well

Dublin Core


St Nicholas's Well

Description of Well Item Type Metadata

1 Name of well and saint

St Nicholas's Well

2 Townland, County, GPS

Tullaghanogue, Meath

3 Physical description of well and its surroundings

Tullaghanogue Church is located near the well, the well is “to the east of the church… dedicated to St Nicholas” (French 2012: 73-74). French states that “this well appears to be located at the centre of a circular earthwork feature and is located off the farmyard entrance to Tullaghanogue House, formerly called Shamrock Hill” (French 2012: 74).

4 Cure

Cures nervous diseases, headaches, vomiting.

5 Pattern day

“Stations were preformed at the start of the harvest on the first Sunday in August” (French 2012: 74).

8 Stories

French gives additional information on St Nicholas: “the parish of Castlerickard is dedicated to St Nicholas and the National School in Longwood is named after St Nicholas. St Nicholas was the patron saint of Dunsany and of Greenogue parish. Near the castle at Dunsany stands the church of St Nicholas. The feast of St Nicholas falls on 6 December. The first Anglo-Norman church at Skyrne was dedicated to St Nicholas. The remains of the saint, who inspired the legend of Santa Claus, is said to have been buried in Newtown Jerpoint in Kilkenny in medieval times” (French 2012: 74).

9 Publications

French, Noel. 2012. Meath Holy Wells. Trim: Trim Heritage Centre.

10 More

French notes that the well is also called Tobernuaglas or new green well” (French 2012: 74). An inscription on the well reads “Pray for the soule of Robert Lord Baron Trimlestowne 1687” another inscription reads “Pray for ye soule of Mrs. Alice Griffin; her husband Mr. J. Griffin. Erected by her family – 1764” (French 2012: 74).