St. John's Well
Description of Well Item Type Metadata
1 Name of well and saint
St John’s Well
2 Townland, County, GPS
3 Physical description of well and its surroundings
The well “is located in the Glen. The well is situated in the woodlands near Glen House. In the 1940s the lands on which the well was situated was held by William Tuite… today the well is dry but the stone surrounds are still preserved in a steep sided bank” (French 2012: 55-56).
"St Johns Well was once the centre of an annual pilgrimage. Pilgrims used to leave items behind at the well tied to branches of the overhanging trees. Rags, handkerchiefs and pieces of cloth were left as tokens of gratitude – or more often expectancy. By 1942 this custom and the pilgrimage itself had since died out” (French 2012: 55-56)
French, Noel. 2012. Meath Holy Wells. Trim: Meath Heritage Centre.