St. Colmcille's Well

Dublin Core


St. Colmcille's Well

Description of Well Item Type Metadata

1 Name of well and saint

St Colmcille’s Well

2 Townland, County, GPS

Oldcourt, Dublin

3 Physical description of well and its surroundings

Branigan states that “St Colmcille’s Well, also known as Tobar na Cluas (Well of the Ear), is located in a little field on the east side of the Ballycullen Road, a short distance from the entrance to the Augustinian Orlagh Retreat Centre…a spring of clear water flows over a worn bullaun stone (said to be the impression of the saint’s knee) and empties into a deep stone basin. Surmounting this is a statue of the saint, sculpted in Italy and erected in 1917…a tree overhung the well up until 1960, when it fell. It was the custom to hammer medals [into the] bark, so many were present that it gave the tree the appearance of having fish scales” (Branigan 2012: 91-94).

4 Cure

Cures disorders of the eyes, ears, and throats.

5 Pattern day

9 June.

8 Stories

“Legend states that this is the location where St Colmcille rested while travelling from Glasnevin to Glendalough and blessed the well, leaving the impression of his knee on a rock there” (Branigan 2012: 91).

9 Publications

Branigan, Gary. 2012. Ancient and Holy Wells of Ireland. Dublin: The History Press Ireland.

10 More

“The well was rediscovered in 1914 by the local postman, Jimmy Murray. Students from the local Augustinian Novitiate then undertook to care for and develop the site, and it was during their watch that a number of improvements took place” (Branigan 2012: 91).