St Mary's Well, Tullow, Co. Carlow

Dublin Core


St Mary's Well, Tullow, Co. Carlow

Description of Well Item Type Metadata

1 Name of well and saint

St Mary's Well

2 Townland, County, GPS

Tullow, Co. Carlow

3 Physical description of well and its surroundings

From an account collected by William Canning in 1939: "There is a cement path, with steps, leading down to the well with a wall three and a half feet high on each side of the path. Along the bottom of the wall small palm trees and beautiful flowers are sown."

The modern appearance of the well appears largely unchanged, and it remains well-maintained, the walls are white-washed with bright blue accents, with gold lettering above the well dedicating it to "Our Queen, Our Mother".

4 Cure

From Canning's record in 1939: "sores and other diseases" were believed to be cured at this well.

5 Pattern day

The Patron's Day is 15 August, the feast day dedicated to the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. However, Mr. Dempsey writes in his account that celebrations were held here on 8 September, a feast day dedicated to St. Mary's birth.

8 Stories

From Canning's 1939 record, we're told that the well was maintained by an older woman who lived in Tullow at that time. It is unclear who may be maintaining the well currently.

9 Publications

For a historical account, please see Irish National Folklore Collection, School's Collection, Volume 0908 PP 117-118, here:

For a modern source, please see Jim Dempsey's work here:,%20Carlow.html

10 More

Canning's historical account names the well as being near Ballmurphy road, which is now connected to the modern Barrack Street in Tullow. The exact coordinates of the well cannot be found at this time.